D/B2
Cindy Thelen
I was surprised how easy it was to set up the blog, but I had serious problems with the RSS feeds. Finally, with the help of Sharon Peterson, we were able to get it up and running. I have friends who have blogs and I enjoy reading them, but I can’t really see myself entering daily thoughts about my life. I think it would be boring! J And I’m really not the journaling type. The thing I like best about the RSS Reader is that I can access my news from one page, instead flipping back and forth. I’m a bit of a news junkie so it just makes it faster for me.
Blogs and RSS feeds use text, still pictures, and video so I can see them falling into several categories of Dale’s Cone. I think it best lends itself to the more abstract areas, still pictures, visual symbols, educational television, exhibits, motion pictures.
I can see myself using this technology in a couple of ways. One would be to keep in touch with students. Any questions they have about assignments can be answered by me and read by all. It would be easy to see a common problem emerging if several blogged in with the same question. Clarification would be faster. However, I am already doing that with email, so I’m not sure their would be any added benefit.
In my Geography class we are required to bring in a current event for the particular continent we are studying. This is where a blog would come in handy for posting pictures and comments about a particular event or location students wanted to talk to share. The class is for 9th graders and it is a perfect time to begin discussing world events and how Americans look at things differently then other people throughout the world. I think I blog would facilitate more discussion on the current events shared. If they added a feed with the story that would really bring the event to life!
I cannot imagine how teachers with very young students (Kindergarten through 2nd) would find it very valuable. It will be interesting to read other blogs to see if any of you have come up with some ways to enhance your teaching.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Hi Cindy,
ReplyDeleteI am not the journaling type as well but I think the Blog is so much more than that. I think lots of people probably do use it in that way though. Another benefit of a blog is if one student has a question about a certain assignment probably alot of students have that same question so you could blog the answer (all students could read) meaning you wouldn't get 20 seperate emails with the same question.
:) KathyW
Cindy
ReplyDeleteYou have a lot of great ideas about integrating Blog in your classroom. And also I like your idea of using Blog to communicate with parents. When you use Blog instead of email, parents have a choice to access whenever they want to.
Hi Cindy,
ReplyDeleteYour idea about a current event article for your geograghy class is just what I was thinking for my current events class. The rss could be a way to follow a country, state, event,etc. closely.
Mark
Hello Cindy,
ReplyDeleteCute photos.
I agree with the communication with students and parents. Last year I tried and email through my web page. It didn't work as well as I planned. But a weekly post of work at the end of one week and/or the beginning of a week could be beneficial for all parties.
Have a great week,
Karen
Cindy- I'm simply commenting to encourage you to try to set up a blog for student questions. From what you wrote, it sounds like you are currently answering their questions through email, but think of how much easier it would be for class members to go to a blog and see others' questions... some that they haven't even though up yet! It would save you from numerous emails too! -Suzy
ReplyDelete