Cindy Thelen
R/D5
There are several reasons why I believe that technology will have a significant effect on educational programs and development in grades K-12.
1. Current research shows that technology is beginning to have a direct and positive effect on learning. We are beginning to see the possibilities of technology to do much more than rote memorization and drill practice.
"We know that successful technology-rich schools generate impressive results for students, including improved achievement; higher test scores; improved student attitude, enthusiasm, and engagement; richer classroom content; and improved student retention and job placement rates. Of the hundreds of studies that show positive benefits from the use of technology, two are worth noting for their comprehensiveness. The first, a U.S. Department of Education-funded study of nine technology-rich schools, concluded that the use of technology resulted in educational gains for all students regardless of age, race, parental income, or other characteristics. [GET THIS] The second, a 10-year study supported by Apple Computer, Inc., concluded that student provided with technology-rich learning environments ‘continued to perform well on standardized tests but were also developing a variety of competencies not usually measured. Students explored and represented information dynamically and in many forms; became socially aware and more confident; communicated effectively about complex processes; became independent learners and self-starters; knew their areas of expertise and shared that expertise spontaneously.’" (ACOT) http://www.nsba.org/sbot/toolkit/tiol.html
2. Students need complex computer skills in the workplace. They need to be familiar with the various ways technology can be used, how to do research, and how to learn, using technology.
3. A global economy requires a workforce capable of participating and competing at the highest levels. Technology is a major factor in our world and its use continues to grow so we need to equip our students with the necessary skills to compete in a world market. The place to develop the skills for using technology is the schools.
4. Technology is present in almost all schools.
“Computers are available in almost every classroom in the United States, with 98% of schools and 77% of classrooms connected to the Internet (NCES, 2000b).”
It is not only available for almost all students and teachers; it is continually being upgraded so that it is becoming more effective for promoting the learning of complex ideas (computer generated simulations, for example).
5. The success of instructional design and technology in business and the military. This was well documented in chapter 3 of Trends and Issues in Instructional Design and Technology.
6. Many current teachers are unfamiliar with technology and are intimidated by it. They, typically, understand how to use it for drill, review, and rote memory, but are not trained in the use of available programs that use flex cams, or programs like Visible Body (exploring the body in 3D), or Lego Digital Designer (a CAD program). New teachers are being trained in effective use of technology in the classroom. As they replace the older generation of teachers, the use of technology should increase.
7. Perhaps part of the reason we are not seeing as much of a correlation between the use of technology and learning is because we are used to verifying learning with standardized tests. While these are useful for some information, they do not usually detect complex learning (the synthesizing, analyzing, and applying of data, etc).
8. As we learn more about how we learn, the idea of ‘one size fits all’ as pertaining to instruction, is simply ridiculous.
"Three principles from brain research: emotional safety, appropriate challenges, and self constructed meaning suggest that a one-size-fits-all approach to classroom instruction teaching is ineffective for most students and harmful to some.
Teach Me Teach My Brian – A Call For Differentiated Classrooms - Carol Ann Tomlinson
Nov. 1998 Educational Leadership - How the Brain Works
Educational Leadership Index and Look up Nov 19
The creative and careful use of technology in the classroom is one way to address the individual needs of the learner.
I realize that for the longest time there has not been a bonafide connection between the use of instructional media and learning, but I believe we are on the verge of this changing. Educational research into the way we learn will have a direct effect on the programs available for educators.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I agree with all of your ideas, thoughts and research. However, I personally cannot help but think, how do we make this work? How can we be a part of this change?
ReplyDeleteI guess as of yet, they best answer I have is to simply slowly (or fast if you wish) integrate technology into the classroom. If enough people see us doing it, and we have good results others might catch on.
As i have mentioned before, the hardest part for me is finding a way to have it match up with the state standards so I am not having to skip something in the end.
Jackie Sowle
Your idea that there are teachers out there who are afraid of technology is so true. Here is a true (and sad) story of something that happened this year. One school that I taught at this past year has a lot of new teachers every year. A few years ago they purchased SMARTboards for a few of the classrooms. A veteran teacher was moved into a room that had a SMARTboard and e-mailed the rest of the school to see if anyone wanted to use it because she didn't want to use a board that was "smarter than her." With attitudes like this it is no wonder our administrators don't fight for technology, they think we don't want it!
ReplyDeleteI think as more research is done about the success of technology use in our classrooms, the more taxpayers, administrators and school districts will be willing to bite the bullet and buy/invest in technology as a teaching method.
Danelle Drake
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI agree with you that many teachers (new or veteran) are intimidated by new technolgoy. I think these teachers (myself included) know that learning to use new technology will take time and patience. SMARTboards are currently being installed in my classrooms (and every classroom through my district). I'm obviously a techie kind of person and like messing with technology and figuring things out. BUT- I do not what to be trying to learn to use the board while I'm teaching. I want to have some instruction and/or time to figure out the various features of the board. It does feel a bit like 'fear'... but I know that I'm just apprehensive because it is another thing that I need to add to my plate. -Suzy
ReplyDeleteCindy,
ReplyDeleteYou are so right when you say one size does not fit all. What we are learning this summer will be a great way to offer new wways to learn. As Jackie said we all need to bring tecjnology to our classrooms at the best speed we can manage!
Mark P
Cindy, it is interesting research. I haven’t had a chance to check out the statistic about technology in education. It's nice to have research to back you up on some of the things we do in the classroom. I'm fortunate to say that I work in a state of the art school and all of our teachers take advantage of the tecnological resources available in our school.
ReplyDelete